Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Jen Thomson

Jen Thomson
English 1050-20
Writing Assignment #2

I believe that today’s society has become run based on the ability to multitask. With computers and other technology so prominent, the work force expects a prompt response to responsibilities. This forces people to pay attention to e-mail or their phones while in the middle of other tasks. It almost seems primitive for someone not to be multitasking. In fact, I believe that today’s generation has become use to paying attention to so much at once that there has developed an ADHD like attention span where we become bored too easily and therefore perform multiple activities at once.
While one might argue that this affects performance negatively, I myself have not noticed a difference in grades. I’m able to have the TV on, text my friends, check facebook, and write a paper while maintaining above average grades. Why bore myself by focusing on one thing when I can accomplish a plethora while socializing with friends? Even if a person focuses solely on one thing at a time, the likelihood that they will zone out counteracts this supposed focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment