Thursday, September 17, 2009

Writing Journal Assignment #2

Hello Everyone,

For your second Writing Journal assignment, please read the following article: “You Have Too Much Mail" by Christopher F. Chabris, Wall Street Journal. (Eastern Edition). New York, N.Y.: Dec 15, 2008. p. A.17

- From Falvey Library's homepage (on the left side), choose "Databases A-Z."
- Then choose "ABI/INFORM Global (ProQuest)."
- Next, click on the "Publications" tab.
- Choose Wall Street Journal: Eastern Edition.
- Write the article’s title or author in the “Search for articles . . .” data field, and perform your search.

You’re welcome to respond to the article however you wish. I do encourage you, though, to consider the following:

Consider the situation described in the first paragraph. How does it compare to your own experience?

Do you accept the writer’s ideas about technology’s affect on productivity? why or why not?
Do you agree with the writer’s ideas about multi-tasking and our brains’ limits when paying careful attention? why or why not?

Are the writer’s ideas about the “mismatch between our modern lives and ancient brains” persuasive? why or why not?

Please include the following information as a heading on your work:

Your name
Eng1050 – 20
Writing Journal Assignment #2

Please post your Writing Journal response to this article (200 - 250 words) by Thursday, September 24, 2009.

Have a good day.

Mr. Dierkes

2 comments:

  1. Christina White
    English 1050- 20
    Writing Journal Assignment #2

    I can relate to the author of the article very well as far as the situation is the first paragraph is concerned. I always have several browsers up on my computer, because I am always doing more than one thing at a time. It’s a struggle just to keep my computer organized, let alone my desk. There are always papers everywhere and they are never in any particular order. It’s amazing that I bring the correct assignments to class each day. At the end of the week it takes me an hour to get all of my things back in some kind of order. If rather than doing twenty different things simultaneously I worked on one task at a time I would most likely be much more organized and at the end of the week I would have that hour to do something other than reorganize my work.
    I also found it very interesting how the author refuted the arguments of those people who claim to be good at multi tasking. I always thought I was good at multi tasking too. However I think it makes you feel like you are getting more accomplished, when in reality you are getting much less accomplished that if you were to focus on one task at a time and not begin something else until you have finished your first task. I think the author makes a good argument and the article actually made me reconsider my work ethic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim Wolfgram
    English 1050-20
    Writing Journal Assignment #2

    I fully agree with almost all of the points that the writer is talking about. I completely agree with the statement that the brain can only hold so much information in a short term time frame, such as the phone number situation that he described. I have had much of the same experience as the writer in trying to manage dozens of things all at once, especially on the computer. Most nights after I finish with all my homework I am managing four fantasy football teams, each one devoting two windows, keeping up on facebook, and managing my three email accounts and much more. This is just the average every night occurrence and it has become a part of my life now. After reading the article, I just forwarded all of my emails from one account to another, and deleted that account so that I now only have two email accounts to try and simplify my life just a little bit. This article truly changed the way I thought about my informational/technological life. I am going to continue to do things like getting rid of the email accounts I do not need and things along those lines to try and make my life easier and more efficient. Hopefully this will even get rid of some of the stress too!

    ReplyDelete